British tourists evacuated from Kenya over Al Shabaab threat
The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office has issued advice against all but essential travel to swathes of eastern Kenya as the threat from Al Shabaab, a militant group that has carried out attacks response to the country’s military intervention in Somalia, continues to rise.
Areas within 60 kilometres of the Kenya-Somali border are now effectively off-limits to British tourists, along with Mombasa Island and those within five kilometres of the coast from Mtwapa creek in the north down to and including Tiwi in the south.
However, this area does not include the popular tourist resorts of Diani or Moi International Airport.
Following the announcement hundreds of UK tourists began a precautionary evacuation from parts of Kenya, many of whom had been holidaying in Mombasa.
Tour operators Thomson and First Choice also cancelled all flights to Mombasa until October.
A statement from the FCO read: “If you’re currently in an area to which the FCO advise against all but essential travel, you should consider whether you have an essential reason to remain.
“If not, you should leave the area.”
Kenyan troops have formed part of the African Union force targeting militants in neighbouring Somalia
As a result there has been a high threat from terrorism, including kidnapping.
The main threat comes from extremists linked to Al Shabaab, which has carried out a spate of small-scale grenade, bomb and armed attacks in Nairobi (especially the area of Eastleigh), Mombasa, and North Eastern Province.
Low-income areas of Nairobi, including all township or slum areas, are also out of reach of British tourists following the latest developments.
The FCO added: “You should take care in public places where people gather, and exercise a heightened level of vigilance.
“Monitor local and international media and keep up to date with this travel advice by subscribing to email alerts.”
The United States, France and Australia issued similar alerts, prompting the Kenyan government to criticise the advice as “obviously unfriendly”.
Fearing the impact on the country’s tourism industry, interior ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka said: “The threats are perpetual, we are at war.
“But we have not received any specific threat on the hotels.”
- Everything About Kenyan Embassies And Consulates To Apply For A Kenya Visa
- Learn How To Check Kenya Electronic Visa Status Anytime Through Kenya Immigration Services Website
- Learn How To Apply For A Kenya Visas Online - Get A Kenya Electronic Visa From Anywhere
- Discovering Kenya Visa Fees And Kenya Travel Services For A Memorable Trip
- Learn About Kenya Visa Application & Kenya Visa Processing Time For Foreign Tourists
- The Best Kenya Travel Insurance For Tourist - Maximum Self Protection With Travel Insurance Kenya
- Learn More About Kenya Visa Types For International Travelers
- Learn About Kenya Visa Requirements For International Travelers
- The richness of Kenya culture and traditions
- Let's check out the best time to visit Kenya
- Kenya Immigration Services Suggests Useful Tips For A Wonderful Holiday In Kenya
- Entry Requirements For International Travelers To Travel To Kenya During The Covid-19 Pandemic
- An old friend in Kenya is missing you on Friendship day
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- New Year - New Everything
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Join us if you dare for a halloween scare
- Africa - prepare to fall in love
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- 20% off for making eVisa! Let's energize yourself now!
- Diani Beach one of top 50 beaches worldwide according to new list
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Top 9 Delicious and Popular Local Foods In Kenya
- 300 Cheaper eVisa on Easter Day!
- 22 Useful Tips to have best trips in Kenya
- Special Offer on Women’s Day!
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- Top 5 Must See Places During Your Visit to Kenya
- Fly-SAX airline for Christmas launch in Kenyan domestic market
HOW CAN WE HELP?
NEED HELP 24/7
How it works ?
APPLY WITH CONFIDENCE